WAYS TO CONSERVE WATER AT HOME

71% of the earth is covered in water and you have to ask- why should we conserve? Well here are some more facts. 97% of all the water on the earth is salt water, which leaves us with only 3% of fresh water out of which only 0.5% is available for drinking.  0.5% for an entire population that is only growing larger.

According to WWF, around 1.1 billion people worldwide lack access to water and a total of 2.7 billion find water scarce for at least one month of the year. Half of the world’s major cities are already experiencing water scarcity and at our current consumption rate, two – thirds of the world’s population will face water shortages by the year 2025 and ecosystems around the world will suffer even more.

So what can be done to conserve water for our future generations?

Well, change begins at home. So here are a few tips and tricks for you to adopt as part of your daily routine.

1.Your toilet isn’t your ashtray:

Stop using your toilet as an ashtray or wastebasket. For every cigarette butt you flush, you waste 5 – 11 litres of water. What’s more, the non-biodegradable cigarette filters swell up to double or triple their original size when they get wet, partially clogging drains and causing large blockages

Source: YouTube

Source: YouTube


2.Frugal showers/baths:

Did you know that we consume nearly 75 litres of water in a 10 minute shower?

You can save water by reducing your shower time by a few minutes or you could choose to install water-saving shower heads or flow restrictors available at plumbing supply stores. While your showers will still leave you all clean and refreshed, you’ll end saving liters and liters of water.

Of course, the humble bucket bath is the best way to ensure optimal water usage.

Source: Argos

Source: Argos

3.If you wash dishes by hand, don’t leave the water running for rinsing:

If at all you have two sinks, fill one with rinse water. If you have only one sink, first gather all your soaped/cleaned dishes in a dish rack, then rinse them rapidly with a spray device or a pot of water.

Source: SafeBee

Source: SafeBee

4.Check for leaks in pipes, hoses, faucets and couplings.

Leaks outside the house are easier to ignore since they don’t mess up the expensive interiors or keep you awake at night. But these leaks can actually end up being more damaging and wasteful especially when they occur on your main water line. Even a small leak can waste 200 litres (or more!) of water a day. So fix those pipes!

Source: Yellow dot heating & air conditioning

Source: Yellow dot heating & air conditioning

 

5.Don’t Hose Down the Car:

Fill a bucket with water and use that to sponge down the car. A regular bucket holds about seven liters of water, so compared to a five-minute hose-down, you’ll save anywhere from 100-200 liters. Now that’s a lot of water!

Source: Car gurus

Source: Car gurus

 

Old habits are hard to break. A new, water-conscious routine may be tricky at first but the longer you stick to your new plan, the easier it becomes. In time, things like turning off the tap when washing your face or your hands, using the washing machine only when fully loaded or reusing the liquid in which you boil veggies and pasta will become second nature.

What steps will you be taking to save water at home? Do share with us!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *